momma knows best

if i “grow up” to be just like my mom, then i will have achieved my only important and worthy life goal (because that encompasses all my spiritual, family, and character goals). i’m aiming for just a fraction of her faith, compassion, ambition, creativity, optimism, energy, and positive influence. those who knew her understand i’m not exaggerating.

my success in reflecting her in the big areas is yet to be seen. but i do know this: i AM my mother in all the little ways. this manifests itself in my life no less than a hundred times a day. from how i fold shirts to the way i make oatmeal to my explore-all-options approach to decision-making, i learned it all from my mom. i’m reminded of her all day long as i recognize her shadow across most of my habits, mannerisms, and methods.

this was evident to me during a recent cleaning spree, and i shared this with my family:

“so i’m cleaning out my closet (again) and half my clothes are there because of mom… girls’ shopping trips, gifts for no occasion, thumbs up replies to photo texts… the woman had style, and i could hardly make a purchase without her approval.

but it’s hard to give up a worn-out shirt when it reminds me of us giggling in the dressing room while i played runway model and she hung up discarded blouses. and then there are the pieces i can’t bear to part with for no other reason than the fact that mom felt so strongly that i needed a certain staple in my wardrobe. i’m staring at a pretty linen skirt that i have never worn, knowing i should pass it along to someone who will put it to good use, but i can hear her telling me how every girl should have one in her closet. after all, momma always knew best.

seriously, she knew what she was talking about; disregard her advice at your own peril.

reminiscing made the process a little more tedious, but in the end i was grinning at my thrift pile, thinking of the zillions of golden nuggets she passed along – beyond fashion advice – that helped me be prepared, avoid messes, make the most of stuff, and enjoy life.”

the linen skirt might still have to go.

10 Thoughts on “momma knows best

1. Holly Tasler Greufe on August 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

cute picture! :)

2. Katie Eidson Griffin on August 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm said:

Trisha–what a beautiful journal entry. You too encompass great character, ambition, compassion, grace, and so much more. Your mom is watching you from above and is so very proud–I just know it! All my best friend.

3. Elizabeth Hughes Etter on August 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

Trisha, let the linen skirt go…..your momma will be proud of you for making your own choices! I hardly owned a pair of jeans till I moved 12 hours away! Now they are a staple in my wardrobe! I love you! Your momma loves you too, with or without the skirt!

4. Nikki Bryant Brown on August 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm said:

Love, love this pic. Your mama did have style, and I constantly look at my house thinking “what would aunt patti do?” The great thing is that you have your own style. Influenced by your mom, but uniquely yours and fabulous! I think your mom would say get rid of the skirt and go shopping for something fabulous – on sale, of course! :-) i will join u if u wait until october! Luv u!

5. Dawn Heddlesten on August 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm said:

Your momma is very proud…………….loved​ the entry.

6. Jimmie Bryant on August 15, 2011 at 7:39 pm said:

I see so much of your mom in you. Even to your laugh & your tone of voice. She was one special lady & boy do we all miss her. I feel so blessed that God saw fit to have her get treatments at NIH so we got to spend more time together. Love you more than you could ever realize.

7. Cathy Marie Robertson Melton on August 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

Trisha, your mother is a part of you. She and your daddy, guided by the Lord, molded you into the beautiful young
    woman that you are today. And in God’s time, He will guide you and Lee to mold your child into the beautiful son or daughter He has in store for you. With your mother sitting next to Him interceding for you every step of the way. Love your mom, and love you!

8. Kelleigh Whaley on August 16, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

‎1) i love this picture. 2) ditto. 3) love you

9. Bob Bryant on August 16, 2011 at 12:20 am said:

Loved what Cathy Marie said. It beautifully expressed my sentiments also. You are so special, and you are your own person. Your self-confidence is one of the things I most admire about you. Love you much more!

10. That picture is so darling.

“sometimes you don’t realize the extent of someone’s signature on your life until his or her absence highlights it.”

Such powerful truth. Thanks for trusting us with a small part of what this process looks like for you.